Oregon Surgi Center is one of the largest urological surgery facilities in the Northwest. And, since it’s on-site, it’s very convenient for Oregon Urology Institute patients and doctors. In addition, the state-of-the-art facility is staffed by our team of medical professionals, providing a more comfortable and familiar environment for our patients.
DAY OF SURGERY
On the day of your surgery, please follow these instructions:
- If you are a legal guardian of or have power of attorney for the patient having surgery, please bring any legal documentation you have to that effect. If you arrive without this, we may need to reschedule the surgery.
- Take only those medications your physician indicates you should take with a small sip of water
- If you have diabetes, take your blood sugar reading. Use half your usual dose of long-acting insulin. Do not take regular insulin.
- Wear loose clothing.
- Leave valuables at home. Please bring your glasses, hearing aids and dentures. If your child is having surgery, bring a favorite blanket and toy.
- If you are taking over-the-counter medications or supplements, you’ll be instructed on discontinuing use before surgery. Bring a list of all medications and supplements you are taking.
- Bring all insurance cards and your driver’s license with you.
- Please arrive one hour before your scheduled procedure. Your timely arrival helps us stay on schedule.
- Family will be asked to wait in the front lobby. The surgeon will speak with your family immediately after surgery.
- Parents of minor children are required to remain on the premises at all times.
- We request no more than two persons accompany each patient.
PRE-OP & POST-OP
Before your surgery, please follow these instructions carefully:
- If you develop a sore throat, fever, infection or other illness, contact your physician as soon as possible.
- Plan for transportation home after surgery. A family member or friend must accompany you upon discharge and stay with you for 24 hours.
- Don’t eat or drink after midnight the night before your procedure.
- If you haven’t been contacted 48 hours before your procedure, please call the surgery center at 541-343-1603 for specific instructions.
- If you do not follow these instructions, we may have to cancel and reschedule your surgery.
Knowing what to expect when you’re scheduled to have surgery can put your mind at ease and make you feel more comfortable. We’ve developed a series of videos to help you prepare for your procedure. Check them out below, and feel free to contact us at any time if you have questions about your surgery.
Before you leave Oregon Surgi Center, you will be given written instructions for your care at home. Please follow these instructions to ensure that your recovery is as quick as possible:
- Follow your physician’s orders regarding diet, rest, medication and activity. Unless directed otherwise, you should begin your diet with clear liquids. In four to six hours you can start to eat solid foods. By the next day, you should be back to your normal diet.
- It’s not unusual to feel a little sleepy, light-headed or dizzy for several hours after surgery.
Don’t sign important papers or make significant decisions for at least a 24 hours.
- Don’t drive a vehicle, smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, operate machinery or cook for 24 hours after surgery.
- If you have questions or problems after surgery, please contact your doctor. If it is after hours, please call our main number at (541) 343-1603 and you will be connected to the physician on call.
- A nurse from Oregon Surgi Center will contact you within a few days to see how you are and to answer any questions.