Before, During & After Your Surgery
Patient care in the Oregon SurgiCenter is tailored to meet the needs of outpatients, allowing you to return home soon after your procedure or surgery. Everything will be done to ensure your comfort and safety during your stay.
Prior to your surgery date, you will meet the pre-admission nurse. At this time you will be scheduled for any testing your doctor feels necessary prior to your procedure/surgery.
During your visit with us, you will meet many people, including:
- Office Staff
- Pre-op Registered Nurse
- Operating Room Registered Nurse
- Operating Room Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Recovery Room Registered Nurse
Each team member carefully evaluate your current health status and past medical history to determine an individualized plan of care for your procedure.
Your pre-operative instructions:
Instructions are determined and designed by your care team to meet your specific needs. Please follow these instructions carefully:
- If you develop a sore throat, fever, active MRSA or other illness contact your physician as soon as possible.
- Plan for transportation home after surgery. A family member or friend must accompany you upon discharge home and stay for 24 hours.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight.
- If you have not been contacted 48 hours prior to your surgery or procedure, please call the surgery center for specific instructions.
- Failure to follow these instructions may result in cancellation of your surgery.
Day of Surgery
The following instructions will assist you in having a safe experience:
- Bring any legal documentation if you are a legal guardian or power of Attorney. If you arrive without this - the procedure/surgery may be rescheduled.
- The morning of your surgery you should follow the directions for taking only those medications directed by your physician with a small sip of water
- Diabetic patients should take their blood sugar reading. Use one half the usual long acting insulin. Hold regular insulin.
- Wear loose clothing.
- Leaving valuables at home. Please bring your glasses, hearing aids and dentures. If your child is having surgery, bring a favorite blanket and/or toy.
- If you are taking over the counter medications or supplements, you will be instructed on discontinuing use prior to surgery. Bring a list of all medications and/or supplements you are taking.
- Collect all necessary papers from your physician's office and foward to us at least 72 hours prior to your procedure. Bring all insurance cards and your driver's license with you to the center.
- Please arrive one hour before your scheduled procedure. We try hard to stay on time and your timely arrival helps us to do this.
- Your family will be asked to wait in the front lobby. The surgeon will speak with your family immediately following surgery.
- Parents of minor children are required to remain on the premises at all time.
- Due to limited seating, we request no more than two persons accompany each patient.
Recovery after ambulatory surgery
Before you leave Oregon SurgiCenter, you will be given written instructions for your care at home:
- After returning home, be sure to follow your physician's orders regarding diet, rest, medication and activity. Unless directed otherwise, you should begin your diet with clear liquids. In four to six hours you can start to eat solid foods. By the next day, you should be back to your normal diet. If is not unusual to feel a little sleepy, light-headed or dizzy for several hours after your operation. Do not sign important papers or make significant decisions for at least a 24 hour period.
- If you have any questions or problems after surgery, please contact your doctor.
- You will be contacted by a nurse from Oregon SurgiCenter within a few days after your surgery to see how you are and answer any additional questions you may have.
- Do not drive a vehicle, smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, operate machinery or cook for 24 hours after surgery.
Snip City US Open
Prostate Cancer Screening
Closed Monday Memorial Day
We will be closed Monday, May 27, 2013 in honor of Memorial Day.
Learn More >>
Oregon Urology Institute Interactive Tour
Browse the interactive tour of our facilities.
You may need to download the newest version of the Flash Player.